SkinEdit is a simple graphics editor optimized for making Minecraft skins. It got many features to make it easier for beginners to understand how Minecraft skinning works as well as all the features even experienced skinners need. With over 3000 downloads so far the latest alpha adds many requested features such as dodge and burn tool as well as flood fill.
This makes making custom minecraft skins a heck of a lot easier. Now you don’t have to mess with the minecraft skin template or image editing programs, just install this and you’re all set.
It’s tested and working on PC, Mac and Linux, so whatever OS you have, chances are it will run it. Installation is a little tricky but with some help it’s easy to get done.
1. Make sure you have Java installed (if you can play Minecraft you have Java installed already)
2. Download the file, preferably with the download button, but if you have problems use the mirror
3. Open the compressed file (.zip). Your computer should be able to do this without external programs, but 7-zip and WinRAR can handle it as well.
4. Put the files anywhere on your computer, but note that it will be a lot easier to get 3D preview working if you put it in a folder you have write access in (For example, under Windows ‘My Document’ or ‘Desktop’ works. You can put it in a sub-folder. Under Linux any folder under your home folder should work. Just make sure to get all files if you want to get the most out of SkinEdit (such as the ‘backgrounds’ folder for additional backgrounds)
5. Just doubleclick ‘MCSkinEdit.jar’ (Might be displayed as ‘MCSkinEdit’). SkinEdit should now launch
6. To get 3D preview working, just click ok when SkinEdit prompts you to enter the URL for the previewer. This is only done the first time you launch SkinEdit.
See, not too difficult, but you probably couldn’t figure it out on your own (unless you’re a computer wiz).
Here’s the instructions too:
Left mouse – Draw the selected color
Right mouse – Erase. Only the hat will support transparent in game
Middle mouse – Copy color. Same as CTRL + Right mouse
CTRL + Left mouse – Flood fill
CTRL + Right mouse – Copy color. Same as Middle mouse
ALT + Left mouse * – Dodge tool. Best effect when dragged
ALT + Right mouse * – Burn tool. Best effect when dragged
ALT + CTRL + Left mouse * – More powerful dodge tool
ALT + CTRL + Right mouse * – More powerful burn tool
* Doesn’t support brushsize currently
I’m actually using it right now to make some minecraft skins for you guys, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know!
EDIT: If it says “Preview Broken” delete skintest2.jar and when it asks for the URL enter this:
[Via http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4843]SkinEdit – Create Minecraft Skins With Ease,